Sobriety certainly brings it’s fair share of tumultuous times. Which is why when you’re equipped with witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety, you’ll be riding the nuances of life in recovery with grace and fluidity.
I have always been deeply obsessed with the occult and mysticism, but repressed it my entire life for fear of being judged. Things changed the day I sobered up nearly five years ago when I made a vow to myself that I was going to come out of the woo woo closet.
And boy, did I come flying outta there- feeling so liberated that I could finally be myself after years of shying away from who I truly was.
Not to mention, incorporating witchery into my sobriety journey has simmered me down a sh!t ton and tamed the side of me that needed a bit of equilibrium.
That’s what brings me here. To help bring you closer to yourself so you can stand firmly rooted in your power and rock your recovery. All with a little witchery, but of course.
Because life is sooo much better when you’re infusing magic into your existence. Sobriety already feels so bland and boring. And these witchy ways to de-stress will bring the edge back to an otherwise vanilla life.
After all, I’m sure you could use a bit of extra oomph and excitement, couldn’t you? Let’s get started.
Fire purification is one of my favorite witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety.
It’s pure awesomeness because of how effective it is and it’s oh so cathartic.
Here’s what you need:
- Fireproof bowl (cauldron if you want to be extra witchy)
Here’s what to do:
- Write down everything that’s bothering you. I mean EVERYTHING. This is your chance to air out all of your gripes and frustrations so don’t hold back.
- Once you’re finished venting, fold up of the piece of paper.
- Take it outside along with the lighter and a cauldron.
- Light the paper with everything written down and place it in the cauldron, setting an intention to release everything that isn’t promoting your growth.
- Let the energy of the fire purify your mind, body, and soul.
- After it’s finished burning, let the contents and cauldron cool.
- Once cooled, scatter the ashes on the ground, thanking Mother Earth and the Universe to release your burdens.
That’s it. A super simple witchy way to de-stress using the elements of earth, fire and air.
Create a candle spell as a witchy way to reduce stress in sobriety
De-stress with love. Self-love, that is.
Oooh, what better way to bring in self-love than with a witchy spell bottle? Not much if you ask me.
This recipe is super simple and only requires a few things. The best part is that you can carry it with you and keep it on your nightstand when you go to sleep at night to keep the flow of love going.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Small bottle with lid (I used a 5ml bottle)
- Pink crystal of your choice
Make sure to use dried herbs. It’ll last mjuch longer than fresh ones.
How to make it:
- Place all the herbs in the bottle.
- Put the crystal on top and cover the lid.
- Smudge the bottle with sage or selenite to make sure that all impure energies have been removed.
Voila! Your very own witchy self-love bottle.
Connect with the moon
Once I sobered up, I started working with the moon and since then, I’ve become obsessed with the lunar cycles. From tracking my energy levels in each zodiac sign and moon phase to manifesting and releasing, to harnessing the powers of the Divine feminine energies.
Doesn’t it bring you such a sense of calm when you look up at the sky and see the moon? So imagine what it’s like to start working with Lady Luna. You’ll become transformed.
If you’re interested in how you can create magic with her, check out THIS post to help you release your psychological blockages with the new moon along with THIS post to help you manifest with the full moon.
Be sure to also check out THIS post on how you can use moon water to start embracing the witch in you and create love and magic.
One of the easiest witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety is by incorporating divination tools into your daily routine.
I recommend doing it in the mornings when your mind is receptive to receiving messages without any biases. And of course, anytime you’re stressed and are in need of some guidance from the Universe.
Some divination tools you can include are:
- Tarot cards
- Oracle cards
What you can do is pick a rune along with a tarot and oracle card for the day to see what message the Divine wants to give you. This way, you’re able to embrace everything coming your way and aren’t thrown into any surprises that aren’t exactly welcoming.
Crystals are great for healing, manifesting and recalibrating your energy. I also particularly love to have them in my hands when I’m down and out. There’s just something about it for me- having a crystal in my hand is like Chinese stress balls. It alleviates so much stress and brings me back to equilibrium.
A pendulum is great for yes or no questions and you can read more about it HERE to see how you can incorporate a pendulum into your daily routine.
I love pulling tarot cards for myself when I’m stressed the f*ck out because I always get the answers I need. It’s never what I want to hear but it’s exactly how I can get out of my funk and start getting my zen on.
And besides, our spiritual team loves when we go to them for guidance and advice because they want to help us. We just rarely ask for it.
Purge your negativity
Let’s face it. The more negativity we have in our life (which is often our own doing), the more stress that entails. Yet, we refuse to take ownership of it. Because it’s sooo much easier to blame external factors when in reality, it starts internally.
If you don’t speak up, allow the same toxic people to be in your life, or are just too fearful of happiness, then you’re going to keep allowing stress to dictate your life.
But all hope isn’t lost. Especially with this witchy way to reduce stress in sobriety, you’ll be equipped with a surefire way to purge the negativity that’s preventing you from bliss.
What you’ll need:
- Small container with a lid
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Activated charcoal
- Colored sprinkles
- Black peppercorns
- Bay leaf
How to make it:
- In a small dish, mix the pink Himalayan salt with the activated charcoal. For about a ¼ cup of pink Himalayan salt, you’ll want about a teaspoon of activated charcoal. Combine both until you have a dark gray/light black consistency.
- Place that mixture into your small container.
- Place the herbs and colored sprinkles in there as well.
- Cover the lid and place it under your bed on the side you sleep on.
- Leave it under your bed for at most three days. I’ve found that it loses its potency after that.
Pink Himalayan salt and activated charcoal will purify while bringing in love.
The colored sprinkles will bring in sweetness and color.
Bay leaves offer protection and luck.
Black peppercorns protect you.
Cloves provide you with abundance.
Now let’s move onto the next tip to help you de-stress and unwind.
Sleep on your worries
There’s a Guatemalan folklore that tells you children telling each worry doll one worry and placing them back in their pouch. Once all the dolls are back in (about 5 or 6), it gets placed under the pillow when they go to sleep at night. By morning, the dolls have released their worries.
That folklore is so beautiful and expresses how magic can be created so long as we believe in it. Which is why sleeping on worries is such an awesome witchy way to reduce stress in sobriety.
I improvised on this throughout the years and created two ways, which I’m going to provide you with. You can try one or both.
The first is a worry bag.
You will need:
- Muslin bag or any small bag you have
- Broken crystals
How to make the worry bag:
- Write down your worries on separate pieces of paper and fold them in small pieces.
- Put them in the bag along with the broken crystals. Tie it up.
- Place it under your pillow before you go to sleep.
All you gotta do is sleep soundly knowing your stresses are leaving your life.
The second method is really awesome because it’ll help to promote lucid dreaming, a restful night’s sleep and it’ll kiss the stress away.
What you’ll need:
- 3 Cotton balls
- Lavender oil
- 2 pieces of 4″ × 6″ fabric
- Sewing machine (optional)
Don’t have scrap fabric, needle, and thread laying around? No worries. Substitute them for a coin purse or a jewelry bag you have laying around and don’t plan on using.
I used a needle and thread on mine to hone in on my sewing skills (VERY basic at that) and to embrace the hearth witch within myself. But you’re more than welcome to use a sewing machine if you have one.
How to make the lucid dream pillow:
- Turn both pieces of fabric inside out
- Stitch up three sides of the fabric
- Stitch up fourth side of fabric, leaving about a two inch opening
- Turn the pillow inside out so that the right side of the fabric is on the outside
- Saturate the cotton balls in some lavender oil
- Stick the mugwort and lavender soaked cotton balls into the pillow- place the amount of mugwort you put in there depending on how bulky you want the pillow to be. You can always add more if you want it to be nice and plump.
- Stitch up the opening of the pillow.
Now you’ve got your very own pillow to help you lucid dream, sleep like a baby and purge all the stress that’s robbing you of your zen. Let’s move onto some energy magick to help you transform your recovery journey.
Oooh, this is definitely one of my favs.
We know everything is energy, science has proven it. Which means that your thoughts, behaviors, actions, and words have a profound impact on the trajectory of your life.
Yup. You read that right. So if you want things to change, especially when you need to reduce stress in sobriety, energy magick will have such a potent effect on your wellbeing.
This isn’t about releasing or removing unwanted energies from you. It’s about transforming them into something you want.
Because energy can never be vanquished- it will always find a new host. So it’s super important that you keep this in mind and why you want to transform the energies rather than removing them.
How do you go about transforming your energy? There are a myriad of ways.
- Do anything on this list
- Go for a walk
- Repeat the same affirmation over and over until your mood changes (I am happy, I am blessed, I am abundant). Never place a negative word into your affirmations because you’ll only attract more negativity, which is the polar opposite of what you want. Such as I am not stressed, I am not struggling, I am not depressed. Those are the ones you want to steer away from.
I couldn’t possibly leave this off the list of witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety, could I?
Keep in mind that charged elixirs take time to work, so you gotta be patient with this method. But they’re potent and it’s a really great way to dive into the depths of your creativity.
Plus, you get to learn something new and even pick up a new hobby, which you’ll need to navigate your sobriety journey anyway.
I’m gonna share with you my favorite love and magic elixir that I created.
What you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- Moon water (distilled water in a glass bottle that’s been charged under a full moon)
- Lavender (dried)
- Chamomile (dried)
- Rose petals (dried)
- Cinnamon stick
- Bay leaf
How to make it:
Pour the moon water into the spray bottle, leaving about a quarter of the bottle without any liquid. You want that extra space for your herbs.
Place all the herbs in the bottle, letting it infuse into the moon water for a few hours. I’ve deliberately left out the quantities of the herbs because this is based on your preference of what you like.
Viola! Your very own charged elixir that you can carry anywhere and spray as you need it.
How to use it:
- Your bed
- Your hands after washing to attract good energy
- Anywhere your heart desires (I would steer away from the face if you don’t have organic herbs)
Now, by plant medicine, I’m not talking about ayahuasca. Though, if you choose to journey, that’s your prerogative.
I just personally don’t believe in that and it’s not because of my own sobriety. I’ve had plenty of experiences where I’ve journeyed without the help of ayahuasca. So I stay away and choose herbs that don’t make me hallucinate and puke my brains out for eight hours.
I’m talking about learning about the medicinal qualities of herbs found in your kitchen. To create magic from what’s already in our environment.
I believe that God gave us everything we need not to survive, but to flourish and thrive. Which is why I’m such a huge proponent of using what’s already in nature to cure ailments. Especially when it comes to a witchy way to reduce stress in sobriety.
And as I mentioned earlier about learning something new and picking up a new hobby, herbalism is such a great trick of the trade to have in your tool belt. You never know when it’s going to come handy. Particularly, if you grow your own medicinal garden right in your kitchen.
The great thing about plant medicine is that you can create teas to help you de-stress and help you sleep like a baby at night. Say sayonara to those sleepless nights.
Some herbs to try for de-stressing and sleep are:
- St. John’s Wort
- Valerian Root
How to use herbs:
- Take any of the herbs you want, solo or play around with different flavors (I 💜💜💜 chamomile and lavender tea) and create your own tea.
- Place some in a sachet and place it under your pillow at night.
- Use some of the essential oil and mix it with your favorite moisturizer (I mix coconut oil with lavender oil for a body moisturizer).
There you have it…ten witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety.
How do you incorporate witchery in your sobriety journey? Let me know in the comments below.
Please be sure to share this with your friends and family.
See ya soon! In the meantime, stay zenspired!