It’s one of those days…and it seems to get progressively worse. From stubbing your toe on your way to the bathroom this morning. (That pain is very real). To the person who cut you in line when you were ordering your morning coffee. To the idiot on the bike you nearly ran over because they seem to think traffic laws don’t apply to them.
Had this been the old you, you would have gone home and relaxed on the couch while pouring yourself a glass of wine to take the edge off.
But you’re the upgraded 2.0 version- sober and have every intention of keeping it that way. So how are you supposed to deal with stress when you’re only beginning to learn how to feel your emotions?
Well, you can always embrace your inner Sabrina and call upon the Divine to help you with witchy ways to reduce your stress. The goal here is for you to find at least one tip that will bring you comfort and solace.
What we’re going to cover:
- Why connect with the unseen forces
- Witchy ways to reduce your stress in sobriety
- Tutorial for each tip
Why connect with the Universe
When I sobered up almost six years ago, I didn’t have a support system. Not even AA. I also didn’t have any faith in myself so I gave it all to the Universe.
The power of surrendering to something greater than yourself is an unparalleled experience- one where you’re okay in not knowing. Because you know enough to know you’re gonna be okay.
The Universe (or anything else you call your higher power) carries our worries, stresses, grief, and anxieties so we can focus on creating the lives we want to live.
That’s not to say we’ll live a stress free life in recovery. Because life has its fair share of burdens. What we can do is minimize our stress into a manageable amount.
Witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety
When you spiritually decompress, you’ll connect with yourself on a deeper level, learn how to surrender, and minimize the negativity you’re harboring.
Consider these as fun little experiments. You never know what magic you’ll create.
This is perfect for those just in case moments because you can make a bottle and carry it around. If something’s stressing you out, all you need is a spritz or two.
What you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- Moon water (distilled water in a glass bottle that’s been charged under a full moon- for the tutorial, click HERE.
- Organic dried herbs
- Lavender (to soothe)
- Chamomile (for divine protection)
- Rose petals (for love, especially self-love)
- Mint (for healing)
- Rosemary (to keep harm away)
- Cinnamon stick (for purification)
- Bay leaf (for strength)
How to make it:
- Pour the moon water into the spray bottle about halfway.
- Place the herbs you’re using in the bottle and leave it for a few hours to charge.
How to use it:
- Spray the charged elixir anywhere you feel negative energy hanging around- yourself, home, car, office)
There’s nothing more cathartic than watching your worries burn away.
What you’ll need:
- Fireproof bowl
What to do:
- Write down everything bothering you.
- When you’re finished venting, fold up the piece of paper and place it in a fireproof bowl.
- Take it to a well ventilated space (fireplace or outside) with a lighter.
- Light the paper on fire, setting an intention to release everything.
- When it’s finished burning, let the contents and bowl cool.
- Once the bowl is cooled, scatter the ashes on the ground, giving a prayer of gratitude to your higher power for carrying your stresses for you.
This is to remove energy that’s stuck in your body- whether it’s from a falling out with someone, an energy vampire, or you need a powerful cleanse.
What you’ll need:
- Black ritual candle
- Fireproof bowl filled with sand or rice
How to do it:
- Carve the stress you want to remove (work, relationships, the uncertainties, etc.) into your ritual candle.
- Place the candle into the fireproof bowl, making sure it’s steady.
- Light the candle while focusing on the stress you want to remove.
- Do NOT leave the candle unattended.
- As the candle is burning, sporadically repeat your intention.
- You can do other things while you’re doing the candle spell.
- Do NOT blow out the candle because the spell will break. Let it extinguish on its own.
- Once the candle is burned and cooled, you can dispose of the contents.
Connect with the moon
Harnessing the powers of Lady Luna is an absolute must if you’re looking for a witchy way to reduce stress in recovery.
In syncing up with the cycles of the moon, you deepen your connection with yourself and the Divine, learn the power of building a trusting relationship with yourself, and find the beautiful strength of your inner femininity.
Purge your negativity
This witchy way to reduce stress in sobriety is perfect for the times when you don’t feel like yourself- more tired than usual, moody, cranky, etc. It’ll draw out the toxins in your body while you’re sleeping.
What you’ll need:
- Small container with a lid
- Black salt
TIP: If you don’t have black salt, you can mix any white salt with a tiny amount of activated charcoal to make your own. It won’t be completely black- more of a dark gray.
How to make it:
- Pour the black salt into your container.
- Cover it and place it under your bed on the side you sleep on.
- Leave it under your bed for at most three days. I’ve found that it loses potency after that.
- Pour the salt down the toilet and flush it.
- Repeat the process every time you need to remove stress.
Our thoughts and emotions get stored in our bodies which can keep us stuck. That’s why regularly moving your energy will lift the stress and keep you feeling lighthearted.
- Going for a walk
- Chakra balancing (I’m a certified Reiki Master and energy healer. To book a session, click HERE.)
- Smoke cleanse (sage, palo santo, copal, cedar)
- Crystal cleanse (selenite is amazing)
- Deep breathing
- Herbal Baths
When we’re stressed, we don’t always have the most rational mindset which can impact our decision making skills. Turning your attention to divination tools will help you with the answers you’re seeking. You’d be surprised at how the answer you need to hear appears exactly when you need it most.
- Tarot cards
- Oracle cards
- Pendulum (You can check out how to work with a pendulum HERE).
Sometimes all we need is a cup of tea and a bit of magic to cure our stress.
Recommendations to de-stress:
- St. John’s Wort
- Valerian Root
What to do with herbs:
- Make tea. 80% chamomile and 20% lavender is an amazing combination for both taste and sleep.
- Incense blends
- Sachets- keep them under your pillow, in your closets and drawers, your car, your purse, etc.
- Bath salts
- New Moon Ritual
- Full Moon Ritual
Sleep on your worries
Sometimes you can’t help but go to bed stressed. This is for those moments when you want your burdens to be lifted away so you can wake up with clarity.
- Any small drawstring pouch you have
- Broken crystals (optional)
How to make the worry bag:
- Write down your worries on separate pieces of paper and fold them up.
- Put them in the bag and the broken crystals (if you’re using them). Tie the bag.
- Place it under your pillow before you go to sleep.
Now that you’re equipped with several ways to tackle your stresses, you can begin to incorporate them into your daily rituals and build a trusting relationship with both yourself and the Divine.
Which of these witchy ways to reduce stress in sobriety have you tried? Let me know in the comments below.
Be sure to share this with anyone that would enjoy this.
I’ll see ya soon…in the meantime, love yourself so much that even a Hallmark Christmas movie would be jealous.