When you’re feeling stressed or burnt out, it’s no fun being around others. You may even absorb someone’s negative energies- not realizing you’ve taken on someone else’s mood.
So the cycle of fluctuating between different emotions perpetuates itself. You feel stuck not knowing which way to go, and before you know it, you’re in one of “those” moods. It happens to the best of us- it’s called life.
Life can get in the way of hopes and dreams at times- and it often feels chaotic. Stress and exhaustion start to take its toll on you making you either lose or temper or want to curl up on the couch binge watching your favorite show with a tub of ice cream or both if it’s an extra strenuous day.
I used to be so guilty of both vices when I had my moments- now it’s the latter I’m working on. But, those are now days I reward myself rather than sequestering myself from the outside world. You gotta celebrate your inner child every once in a while😇
Unless you’re an enlightened guru and don’t suffer from any “life gets in the way symptoms,” well- then I’m pretty damn jealous, and you can bypass this entire post. For every other mortal who struggles with their zen, keep reading.
If you’re proactive to life instead of being reactive, you can mitigate the onslaught of anything that makes its way towards you. It’s just about being equipped with the proper techniques in your arsenal of spiritual weapons.
There are a myriad of ways to get your zen on. For today, I’m focusing on some quick fixes to slay the demons when they start rearing their ugly head.
If you’ve been keeping up to date with my posts, you know I’m not one for instant gratification. It’s about self-sustainability over self-preservation. But the following tools provide both instant comfort and lasting stability. Keep in mind that if you want long term effects, you have to be consistent with your practices.
It’s about building daily habits and maintaining them to gain lasting benefits. That’s where rituals of how to remain spiritually grounded especially when life feels anything but stable come into play.
When you find yourself needing to get balanced or are looking for additional ways to incorporate spirituality into your life, these seven techniques will surely provide zen into an otherwise hectic day.
1. Find gratitude- Gratitude goes such a long way in your journey. If you’re questioning how on earth you can have gratitude for the person who cut you off while driving or the obnoxious one who rammed their shopping cart into you at the supermarket, the answer is you have a ton to be grateful for. Bottom line is it could have been worse but it’s not.
It’s more than just finding the silver lining- it’s about being grateful for what you already have. You have limitless potential and an infinite source of abundance within you. Tap into that and express gratitude for what you already have along with what you want to enter your life as if it’s already here.
Start and end each day with at least three things you’re grateful for. When a stressful situation arises, express gratitude for it as an opportunity to grow and you will instantly feel grounded on a spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental level.
2. Carry crystals- Crystals make for such a great way to spiritually ground yourself. They also happen to be therapeutic and are beautiful.
While science has yet to back up the healing components of crystals, they are known to be of energetic matter- just like us. So if you’re looking to simmer down before you rip the hair from your scalp, keep a few on hand.
Pick up pocket size stones and keep it in a pouch to prevent them from breaking. If for any reason a crystal breaks, don’t worry. Your time with its healing energies are done. You can either keep the broken pieces, which is what I do. Or you can bury them in the ground.
When you’re working with crystals, you can meditate with them, set an intention to each crystal, keep them on your body, or rub them between your hands for a few minutes to absorb their healing energies.
The world of crystals can be pretty daunting if you’re a beginner so I’ve included a few that are great to carry around. When you’re at your favorite metaphysical shop and see a crystal you’re drawn to that isn’t on this list, get it. That crystal is meant for you.
- Black tourmaline- the ultimate stone of protection. It will remove all energies from you, both good and bad. Because it can easily deplete you of energy due to its potency, be sure to carry this stone with other crystals to balance everything.
- Amethyst- it’s a spiritual healing stone and is said to bring balance and stability to one’s life. Amethyst can also promote a higher state of awareness while calming the mind. If you don’t have one already, be sure to add this to your collection.
- Honey Calcite- amongst being one of the most spiritually grounding crystals, it’s also the stone of empowerment and confidence. Giving you the ability to overcome obstacles while garnering you with clarity, this is definitely a crystal to keep on you.
- Selenite- The crystal to connect with the Divine. This is actually my favorite crystal to work with because of its wonders. You can place other crystals on a selenite wand to charge them along with waving the selenite over your body to give you a reboot or sit down in a chair and place your feet on the wand for about 15 minutes to bring you back to equilibrium. Selenite will also aid in hypnosis, past life regression, and brings inner peace. You can’t not find a symphonic harmony with this beauty.
Tip for crystals: With time, our energies along with other peoples energies absorb into them so they will be need to be charged to regain their full healing powers again. To reactivate them for optimal spiritually grounding effects, place them on a windowsill during a Full Moon.
3. Make a cup of tea- While this may not seem zen to you, don’t be so quick to knock it. Tea has such a calming effect on the body, mind, and soul- making this one of the best ways to spiritually ground yourself when you’re stressed.
There are so many varietals out there that even if you’re not a tea drinker, you will find a flavor to suit your taste pallet. You can even buy a beautiful tin and a special tea mug to turn it into a ceremony of restoring your senses. The act of creating a ritual will work wonders on your mood. Here’s how:
Before you take the first sip, express gratitude to the Universe for your cup of tea and then offer your love to those who don’t have access to clean drinking water. Afterwards, set the intention that the tea is bringing you inner peace or any affirmation that fancies your taste. Once you’ve conducted the three part ritual, you can go ahead and savor the tea.
4. Carry something of sentimental value that provides security- Carrying a security amulet will no doubt bring you a great sense of comfort and solace. Not just in times of agitation to spiritually ground yourself, but to always have it on hand.
Your item can be anything you can think of as long as it has sentimental value to you- a lucky coin, a piece of jewelry, crystals, etc.
When my father unexpectedly passed away a couple of years ago, I started seeing feathers everywhere. They’re a token that the angels and deceased loved ones are watching over you. I have so many feathers now from saving them. I use the feathers for spell work, carry them in purses, in my wallet, and between my phone and phone case as a constant reminder that I am safe and protected.
My sister bought me an angel stone meant to watch over me when I travel. I always carry the angel when I fly between NYC and Santa Fe.
Your talisman can be whatever you want it to be. As long as you know that it’s there to guide you towards your highest good, you will remain spiritually grounded when you have it in your possession.
5. Burn a candle- Any lightly scented candle, preferably a white one, will bring in the much needed serenity when you need to spiritually ground yourself. White is the symbol of purity and is associated with the crown chakra (the divine).
Burn a candle for at least an hour a day to aid in keeping the negativity at bay. If work is the culprit for your frustration, check this post out on how to turn your workspace into an oasis.
Maybe your office doesn’t allow you to burn candles. Keep one at your desk as an intention candle. Affirm that you will only succumb to happiness and pleasure. Let the candle act as a reminder for you to keep your sanity in tact.
6. Smudge yourself- Using a palo santo stick or sage bundle is synonymous to taking a spiritual bath. Consider it as an act of spiritual hygiene. You wouldn’t leave the house without showering so you shouldn’t leave the house without any divine protection either.
This should be done each morning before you leave the house to spiritually ground yourself and as act as a form of preemptive damage control.
How to armor yourself:
Light the sage bundle or palo santo stick and let it burn for about five seconds before you gently blow on it so that it’s still lit without the fire. Starting at the bottom of your feet, wave the stick side by side moving up your body making sure to get both the front and back side of your body until you reach the crown of your head. Consider yourself cleansed.
For a deep cleaning, wave either the stick or bundle around your home with the doors and windows open. It will remove the negative energies, ensuring your sanctuary is cleansed and free of any unwanted debris.
7. Whatever emotion you’re feeling, feel it- This is probably the most spiritual way to ground yourself.
Spirituality isn’t about floating off in la la land seeing rainbows and unicorns. It’s about traversing into the abyss of your own darkness to find the light. When you do, you’re authentically you with an acute awareness of the emotions you’re feeling.
If you need to cry a river, by all means cry a river. If you need to punch your pillows in a fit of rage, do it. If you need to throw away old moments, say good riddance.
You shouldn’t hold onto souvenirs from the past anyway because it will keep the energies of the bygone era in the present. If vintage clothing is your thing, sage or palo santo it to remove the previous owner’s energies.
The point is to not wallow for several weeks to the point you’re too paralyzed to move on. Healthy doses of releasing are incredibly cathartic. You don’t want to allow feelings and emotions to fester within you which will get trapped in your body, inevitably getting worse as time passes.
It’s been said depression is caused by storing negative emotions within the body and not allowing it to have an escape route. Moral is to allow your feelings and emotions to surface so you can process and nix it.
When you’re down and out or need a pick me up, turn to one of these seven ways to spiritually ground yourself. Even if life seems anything but stable, at least one tool on this list will help you to get out of your funk.
When you start incorporating these things on a daily basis, they will become rituals. Rituals are what shapes us. Choose to be in alignment with who you are and witness your life unfold before your eyes.
Please be sure to share this with your friends or anyone else that may be interested in these modalities.
Have you or are you currently engaging in any of these seven ways to spiritually ground yourself? Let me know in the comments below.